No silly, it’s not a typo. The midi, the midi dress the midi skirt, AKA a dress or skirt that hits below the knee and above the ankle. The midi, in-between a mini and maxi. Dare to bare some calf why don’t you? While you might think the midi is a conservative look, don’t forget, you would have been a rebellious sinner going outside showing any hint of your ankles pre-1920 (the date is a rough estimate…history class wasn’t exactly my thaaang). I think they can be pretty cool sometimes, so I’m going to keep talking about them.
Anyway, the midi is tricky. See what I did there, with the rhyming? Such a poet. The problem with the midi is, if you pick the wrong one or have a styling mishap, you will look like a dowdy housekeeper who got lost on her way to the supermarket. Totally fine, if that’s the look you’re going for. But if you mange to choose the right cut and wear the appropriate accessories, the midi can be suitable for almost any occasion: the beach, work, and even a boozy brunch. I would steer clear of wearing them “out”. If you do, you will most likely end up looking like the group’s chaperone instead of the fun friend. A good tip…look for cut-outs or sheer options or pair a crop top with a midi skirt. All of these details will give the outfit a fresh look but please, pick only ONE at a time.
- Midis for day should have a flowy bottom. Sandals please—flats or wedges will do.
- Midis for work should be IMMACULATELY tailored. Wear heels, as high as are appropriate for work.
- Just say no, to aggressive prints. A lot of fabric + a lot of print = a lot of unpleasant curtain.
- Midis with detailing at the bottom are ugly. If it’s lace it’s a doily, if it’s fringe it looks like a pillow. Just being blunt.
- Be confident. A midi can wear you instead of the other way around. Don’t let it.
Fully Midi Skirt by Asos Collection
Available online from Asos
Good Love Shirtdress by Zimmermann
Available online from Shopbop
Apron Dress with Step Hem by DKNYPure
Available online from DKNY
More Formal/ For Work:
Front and Back Layer Panel Skirt by Givenchy
Available online from Barneys New York
Midi Sheath Dress by Felicity & Coco
Available online from Nordstrom
Jersey Dress by Tamara Mellon
Available online from NET-A-PORTER